Create a rite of passage
We at Saltwater Country choose to take a stand and use an innovative way to create positive change in critical areas of our communities’ health and well-being. Advocacy is a big part of what we do at Saltwater Country. We work hard to increase public awareness of our vision and mission and actively participate in the national and international conversation around our Aboriginal lead solutions.
We will create a rite of passage for the Aboriginal people in Broome and the wider Kimberley region. In particular, we will empower young Aboriginal people by providing opportunities to build resilience and strength… to engage in their lives and the world around them.
We will provide:
- Aboriginal lead premier products and events
- Evidence-based programs delivered with cultural integrity
- Culturally safe space & high touch environment
- Replicable, diverse & inclusive operating model
- Innovative support networks & tools
- Comprehensive culturally intelligent leadership & employment pathways
- Proven therapy, training & employment outcomes
The way we work
- Showcase professional riders through the Rodeo and Campdraft whilst securing a platform for local and regional talent to compete
- Encourage community participation and inclusivity of all community groups regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, physical ability, health or well-being.
- Run as a not for profit and invest the income generated from the event and its activities towards creating a self sustaining organisation, event and rodeo school.
- To create a platform to support local & national charitable organisations that fit with our key purposes and community objectives
- Seek different charitable and community organisations to partner with for example the Lifeline and White Ribbon Foundation among others.
- Celebrate a lifestyle that strives to maintain a connection to the land through engaging all generations and community members in a premier event, rodeo school and associated programs.
- Transcend cultural and generational barriers by securing a platform for local talent to train & compete whilst showcasing professional riders.
- Collaborate and partner with local and national organisations to make our Saltwater dreams come true.
Background Photo: Streets Jetty, Broome © Photo supplied by Tourism WA